Toward the start of the Nineteenth Century, in Belém, close to Mosteiro dos Jerónimos (the Heironymite Monastery) there was a sugar processing plant appended to a little store. Because of the 1820 liberal revolution, all religious communities in Portugal were closed down in 1834, the pastorate and workers ousted.
With sights set on endurance, somebody from the cloister offered sweet cakes available to be purchased in the shop; baked goods that quickly got known as ‘Pastéis de Belém’.
At that period the region of Belém was considered a long way from the city of Lisbon and basically got to by steamships. Simultaneously, the glory of the religious community and the Torre de Belém (the Belém Tower) pulled in guests who before long developed used to appreciating the delectable baked goods began in the cloister.
In 1837, the preparing of the “Pastéis de Belém” began in the structures appended to the processing plant, following the old ‘secret formula’ from the religious community. Given and known only to the expert confectioners who hand-made the baked goods in the ‘secret room’, this formula stayed unaltered to the current day.
the genuine ‘Pasteis de Belém’ was invent, to offer even today the kind of the respected Portuguese sweetmakinghave and you mustto try it.