The plan to assemble the Monument to Christ-King (“Cristo-Rei”) comes up in 1934, when the late Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon, His Eminence Manuel Gonçalves Cerejeira, is visiting Brazil. Going through Rio de Janeiro, he happens upon the intriguing site of the Statue of Christ the Redeemer in Corcovado and promptly is brought into the world in his heart the craving to construct something comparable before Lisbon.
Along these lines, in 1936, the plan to fabricate the Monument to Cristo-Rei was spread the word about for the Apostolate of Prayer, which invited it with eagerness. To be National, the Monument required the endorsement and participation of the multitude of Portuguese Bishops, which is at last gotten and formally revealed in the Bishops’ Joint Pastoral Letter for Lent of 1937.
On April 20, 1940, the Portuguese Bishops, reunited in Fatima for their yearly retreat, made the accompanying pledge: “If Portugal is saved from the War (2º world war), a Monument to the Sacred Heart of Jesus will be raised facing the capital, as an obvious indication of how God, through Love, wants to overcome for Himself all humanity”.
Portugal remained nonpartisan all through World War II, not having direct cooperation in war activities, truth which was conclusive for the starting of a raising money public mission to make the development of the Monument a reality. Nonetheless, because of the conflict, the mission hauled. All things considered, regardless of the troubles, in 1941 the land for the development of the Monument was obtained.
On January 18, 1946, just about one year after the finish of World War II, the Portuguese Bishops, in a Joint Pastoral Letter, other than referencing the third Centennial of the Crowning of the Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception as Patroness of Portugal, authoritatively proclaimed to have vowed to raise the Monument to Christ-King. From that point on, the raising money crusade obtained new force.
We should likewise make reference to the cooperation of Portuguese youngsters from all through the entire country in the gathering pledges crusade for the development of the Monument, lobby which was called Tiny Pabbles and went on from 1939 to 1958.´
The Monument was inaugurated on May 17, 1959.